Our 2020 Different Kind of Christmas Project is to create the Desert Spring Community Resource Center to help meet the needs of families struggling financially due to the pandemic.
The pandemic has impacted all our lives. For some, the impact has included financial hardship.
Three Square, our local food bank, estimates 18.2% of people living in the zip code of the church (89144) are food insecure. This amounts to more than 3500 people, and is almost double the number of people who were struggling prior to the pandemic.
Other zip codes near the church report a similar story. There are many, many people who are financially struggling, some for the first time in their lives.
Our goal: $80,000
We raised: $79,000
The money raised will:
- Purchase food to distribute to people in need
- Provide staff support to operate the Resource Center
- Provide additional types of financial and emotional support for families that are struggling
Desert Spring Church is called to help meet the need. Our plan is to do so through the creation of the “Desert Spring Community Resource Center.” In order to address the need for food as soon as possible, we will develop the Resource Center in phases.
Phase 1: We will partner with Three Square, our local food bank, to open a mobile food distribution location at Desert Spring Church. We will have two food distributions per month. Distributions will be held on Saturday mornings in the church parking lot. Families in need will be informed of the opportunity to receive free food through the local schools, libraries, community centers and police department.
Phase 2: We will open a food pantry at Desert Spring Church in order to have food available for families who are unable to come to the scheduled Saturday food distributions. Days and hours the pantry will be open will be determined by the needs of the families we serve.
Phase 3: We know that many people struggle with more than food insecurity at this time. So, phase 3 will expand our assistance to meet additional needs. The types of assistance and programs that will be developed will be driven by the expressed needs of families who receive food through our pantry and Saturday distributions.
HERE IS WHAT YOUR GIFT DOES
- A gift of $1 provides 3 meals of wholesome food
- A gift of $19 provides 30 meals for a family in need
- A gift of $60 provides a family of four with 3 meals a day for 15 days
- A gift of $120 provides a family of four with food for a month
- A gift of $1,000 provides resources we can use to help families with needs beyond food\
- A gift of $4,000 provides a commercial refrigerator for the food pantry allowing us to have food available for families during the week.
The more we raise, the more we can do to help families struggling due to the pandemic!
Printable donation cards and brochures are below.
Donation cards are available two sided – four to a page, or one to a page.